A Free Lance Writer for Hire. With a unique style and tone, SLMcGinnis keeps her readers coming back for more.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Dear World

Today I'm posting a poem from my new book, Dear World. It's a short book full of poetry and motivational phrases. I thought I would add a little excerpt just for fun!

Dear Daddy,

Dear Daddy,

Why did you leave? You said nothing and left.  Was I bad daddy, did I make you go?  Did I not show you enough love, Daddy? Daddy, why did you go?

Dear Daddy,

Do you know how you made me feel?  I'm just a little girl abandoned by her father, the man I'm supposed to trust. Was I bad daddy, did I make you go? Why Daddy, oh why did you go?

Dear Daddy,

I'm older now and you should know I'm still not better.  My daddy left me so long ago so what does this mean to me?  It makes me nothing to anyone, just a sad little girl.  Was I bad dear Daddy, did I make you go?  Daddy my dear, why did you go?

How does it feel to know you know nothing of me? How does it feel to know your only daughter hates you?  How does it feel to know I look for love in all the wrong places?  How does it feel to know you are not, and cannot, be my Daddy?  Do you even care?

Dear Daddy,


I love you still but my heart aches in ways that I cannot imagine.  I cannot stop the pain, the love that I have lost, I don't know what I did wrong, but please Daddy don't return.  Was I bad Daddy?  Did I make you go?  Why Daddy, why, why, why did you go?

This is one of the most popular pieces I think I've ever written. Stemming from a life-long question of, "why?" Why was I not good enough for him when his other kids are? Why couldn't he make an effort in my life when he tries so hard now? I often found myself so full of anger and bitterness, even though I was blessed with a father who loves me unconditionally.

I was raised by a man who would die for me; he came into my life when I was five or six, and he never left. Still, this biological creature I was suppose to trust had no desire to stay a part of my life. A lot of that rejection hurt for a long time. Those questions don't bother me anymore, I'm at peace with the man that left me so many years ago.

I wrote this originally when I was fourteen. Through writing I found release in my emotions, fears, and insecurities. Que the adolescent angst period of my life, which was full of blood and gore. This was the first poem I ever wrote, and it wasn't the last directed to someone deserving of my wrath and anger.

If I can offer advice to anyone in a similar situation, I'm going to use the words of the great Elsa, "Let it Go." If you hold onto that resentment and that anger, the only person it's hurting is yourself. You need to find a way to say 'It's ok' and find a new path for who you are. Don't hurt yourself because of someone else; live your life to the fullest and do something great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *