A Free Lance Writer for Hire. With a unique style and tone, SLMcGinnis keeps her readers coming back for more.

Friday, March 17, 2017

WIP: I'm so excited for me new Work in Progress I have to share!

Just recently, I've been inspired to write something new. Something beyond the walls of reality to break the chains of normalcy. It's hard to come up with original stories in these times, so I'm not aiming to find something that's NEVER been done before. Realistically, that probably won't happen. What I can do though, is come up with something unique to my style.

I went back some years and have drawn back on the style I started writing with. Unfiltered, brutal, descriptive themes. I don't know what started me off as a dark writer; I suppose there's a side of me that's always been dark. So, I started writing and not thinking. I put words on paper and did what I could to just paint a picture of what I wanted to write about. While I'm working on the main kinks and set up of the story, I've decided my new book is going to be a startling new design of my own creation.

Set in a time that's non-existent in our world, there are five kingdoms. The kings and queens of these said kingdoms are fighting a war against the ultimate evil. The Queen of Chaos, Airis. This is the first fantasy novel I'm putting together that's not based in the real world. I can't call something fantasy if I'm not willing to take that extra leap.

With careful note taking and research I've formed names for new countries. I have created characters unique and have torn away from the cliches of writing I'm tired of coming across. I can't say I've wiped cliche out entirely because some of those cliches are essential to work. You know like, good vs evil.

When I was younger, I had started this process of creating a world but didn't have the will or motivation to see it through. Now that I've come this far, with a well thought out story line and have a path, it makes the creation easier. Anyway, I'll throw a little excerpt in here and I can't wait to have this new creation out! It's coming together so well I think.

Excerpt:

          “Is the show amusing enough for you?” While her voice remains cruel, the seductive undertones are enough to arouse any weak minded fool. It's a shame her beast-like attitude prevents it from affecting Ryden. “We can throw you up next to him.”
          “My lady, don’t tease me so unfairly.” Being part of Laore’s Fyre Guardian Clan made him immune to the dangers of fire. "It would be a dream come true to be among the flames of hell once again."
          Her ice-like eyes watch him savagely as he laughs at her idea. She doesn’t like how mercilessly he taunts her without remorse. Still, while he enjoys his word games she has found an emotional weakness to use against him.
          “Then how about we put Kellan up there?” Her words hit a nerve and his face drains of emotion. Airis smiles innocently and runs a finger up her slave’s arm, “I don’t think he would fare as well as you.”
          Kellan would never stand a chance against the flames; he’s proven himself to be inadequate in the ways of old magik. Ryden closes his mouth before he can say something that would condemn Kellan.
          “You can act stoic all you want, but I know that I can use him to make you bend.” Her eyes wander across the courtyard of her palace.
          Servants and slaves from all five kingdoms run back and forth hoping to go unnoticed by their new master. Airis has collected quite the group of misfits for herself, and while Rydon can’t approve of the way she does things he has to admit she is intelligent. None of these people have homes, they’ve been outcaste from their homes and lands which means they’re stuck here. 

          His eyes turn up to the hunk of charred flesh before him. If he was going to rule a land though, he would do so with more adequate punishments. There's no sense in killing things it takes you time to collect.

That's it for now! Just a little bit here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *