A Free Lance Writer for Hire. With a unique style and tone, SLMcGinnis keeps her readers coming back for more.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Excerpt For Master Thesis

            Gunshots ring throughout the square disturbing the peace of the inner city. Four men charge across the blood splattered ground shouting obscenities and leaving a trail of mist in their wake.
            A small child’s hands fly to her ears to stop the nearby screams of tortured souls. A hand closes around her waist, scooping her off the ground as a bullet hits the spot she once stood in. Blood mists the air forcing people to cover their mouths for fear of breathing something toxic in. All eyes are on the shooters as people run back and forth screaming in panic. Children cry for their parents as blood pours from wounds on people they’ve never met.
            Silver eyes watch in excitement as a wave of purple washes through Yorklyn Square leaving nothing, and no one, in its path. It has been much too long since he’s seen chaos of this level destroy a city. A pink tongue flicks from behind thin, chapped lips and licks away a drop of sweat forming in the corner of his mouth. This level of excitement makes his magik run wild.
            “Destroy them all.”
            The sound of death and destruction rings pleasantly in his ears; the simple action of watching people die is almost ecstasy. The world will be reborn, but first it must be cleansed. Soft steps from behind make the man with silver eyes turn to face his intruder. Why would someone interrupt such a beautiful moment?
            “My lord, I have news you might not like.” She walks towards the man wearing a gray jump-suit. Her long, red hair billows behind her ominously. They don’t call her the Flame for nothing though. “It’s about the Guardians.”
            “They’ve been dealt with, my student. What do you have to worry for? Look out and enjoy the sight before you. There is no one to stop us now.” He waves a hand over the screams of the city, “Soon, we will own everything before you.”
            Yorklyn, the concrete city, built to protect those from society and the government. The idiots who fled the walled cities of the world all came here without protection, without hope. The silver eyed man quickly decided someone needed to play the villain; someone needed to take control.
            “The Guardians have children. Each one of them, sir. It worries me that they may one day rise to power.”
            The man smiles and shakes his head with a ‘tsk’. Even his closest companions do not trust his abilities. He raises a hand and lays it on the young woman’s shoulder. “You have nothing to worry about. I have sealed their magik; they will never know they are more than just simple humans.”
            “What of their parents though? Won’t they tell them?”
            The man turns back to his ledge with a heavy sigh. The massacre continues below but now it’s quieter. People have fallen, bled out from the wounds leaving nothing but soft gurgles. Children lay with their parents, women with their men, and animals with their owners. It would be a sight of pure hell to anyone else, but to him this is glory.
            “Their parents will never be seen again, Angel. Do you really have such little faith in me?”
            Angel looks abashed for a split second before kneeling and bowing her head. “No sir, I meant no offense. I apologize for the accusations.”
            “Good, now stand and join me in watching Yorklyn fall to chaos. A new era will soon begin.”
            Angel rises and takes her place next to her master with a curious gaze. She’s spent her life killing for this man, but never once has she seen what he has. She watches the shooters fly through the square as something squeezes her heart. Is this the emotion she was warned about? Her hand settles on her chest as she prods with her magik for some sort of explanation. Her heart rate has increased as if she were in battle, but she’s doing nothing but standing on top of a building. Her brow furrows in confusion as her energy reaches inside herself to sort out the weird feeling.
            “That is called guilt. If you let it continue, it will end your career as my apprentice.” The man doesn’t take his eyes from the ground below. “There is nothing to feel guilty for. We are rebuilding the world. All will be well.”
            Angel’s pale hand falls from her chest as she hardens her gaze. She would not let a feeling get in the way of her job. “Yes master, I will remember it.”
            “Good.”


 This is just a little bit from my Master's project. I've been thinking a lot about what to take; I've been afraid to major in Fantasy/Fiction as this is my favorite thing to write. I was afraid that majoring in it would ruin it for me. With all the work that would need to be done it was kind of...iffy for me. I eventually decided this would be the best for me.

To get into the Master's program at my college one must submit ten pages of their major and ten pages of their minor. This is going to fall into the major section, fantasy. I have yet to decide what I would like to minor in. Considering I've published poetry, I feel I should probably go for that. Enjoy!

A special thanks to everyone who is helping me put this project together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *